Tuesday, December 14, 2010

CURTAIN CALL 1

Staring at the scene right below me, I find myself laughing out loud. I was looking at a hospital ward with a splendid view of a beautiful young woman writhing with labor pains. Her husband, an equally handsome, young man was beside her, panicked and almost white with anxiety. I ask the hefty old, white-bearded man, who is seated beside me " Why must I come out amidst all this pain? If she knew I would be such a bother, why did they conceive me?". The white-bearded man whom I've come to know as God, smiles gently and says, "Its painful for now but you'll see the smiles hereafter".

Looking sadly down, I say again, "But she's crying so bad, I must be a mean child for causing her tears". God doesn't reply me but looks down wards. We are both silent for quite some time looking at the drama unfolding before our eyes, the woman who I'm going to grow up calling 'mother' has her legs spread open, my father is sweating and holding her hands by her bedside, a nurse is mopping my mother's brows and there is this huge man (God calls him a doctor), standing between her legs. Sometimes I find it quite confusing you know, God tells me that between my legs lies a very special place which I must take proper care of and not let anyone see it, especially men, but here is my mother, with a man standing and putting his hands there and nobody seems to want to say anything.

God looks at me and says" Its almost time, you know, the world is awaiting your arrival". I shake my head and bury it in his shoulders; I don't want to leave where I am, God has been so nice to me and my friends are here also, "I don't want to go to a place filled with strangers who keep staring at me like they expect me to do something". He smiles and ruffles my hair "You have to be on your way child, your new family is expecting you". He looks at me and says,"You're going to do very great things in your time, but you are going to be trouble. Be gone then, its time for your grand entrance."

Placing a kiss on his cheeks, I give him one last hug and I begin to float down as things begin to spin out of control. Next thing I know is i'm being pulled out by a pair of gloved hands, very gentle. A very cold breeze wafts by me and I let out this piercing scream. As I begin to kick and throw tantrums, a voice says "Welcome Little One". With my unfocused gaze, I look up at God who seems very far now; I try waving to him as he slowly disappears but I feel myself being placed in another set of arms. This one is soft, gentle and loving: warm as well. I turn and look into my mother's eyes for the very first time and she is the most beautiful person I've ever seen. With her hair scattered and teary eyes, sweaty brows and strained muscles, she still finds the prettiest smile to give me. 

Another face comes into view, this one is well structured but with tears as well. My father looks at me and says," We shall name you Tamar" and kisses my forehead. Enjoying the warm embrace of my mothers arms, I snuggle closer and begin to suckle with my eyes closed.

This is day one in the life of Tamar, as I have been called...

No comments:

Post a Comment