Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A MORNING INSPIRATION.

Yaaaaaawwwwnnnnnn. I toss and turn to the other side; my eyes are still closed yet my brain is trying to function.
I hear the sounds of generators being turned on in the distance, a bell is being rung yonder calling people to Church;
 A mega phone speaks loudly to the darkness, some Arabic lyrics which mean the Mosque is ready and running.
Somewhere in the darkness, you can make out the rumblings of car engines being warmed up.
This is a typical 5 am in my part of the world, a typical morning somewhere in Surulere, Lagos, Nigeria.
In my own house, the shuffling of feet signify my sisters are up already, the light switch pops and the darkness is flooded with brightness.
Still, I bury my head under the pillow, knowing that I'm fully awake yet refusing to ackowledge the fact.
So my morning starts, I hear neighbours in the horizons beating crying children who have refused to take their baths, I hear young bachelors nodding their heads to their favorite Tupac number,
I hear the women raising their voices in morning fellowship, and I hear members of the taxi park across taking numbers for the days job.
The world is moving and I'm still here, on my bed
Trying to figure out the reason why I have got to be awake.
Somewhere in the deepest recesses of my mind, a voice reminds me;
I am still on my bed because, when I am ready, someone is going to turn on the generator for me...
I am still on my bed because when I am ready, there's water running from the tap...
I am still on my bed because I do not have to wake up and rush to the well to fetch water...
I am still on my bed because I have an empty bathroom waiting for me...
I am still on my bed because I do not have to wait till my neighbour finishes her bath to use the bathroom...
I am still on my bed because when I eventually do get up and do all these things, there is a car waiting to take me to work.
So when I wake up every 5 am to the same old routine, the same thought creeps into my mind.
I am not spoilt, I am blessed and I am fortunate.
I am privileged enough to know that I most probably did not deserve these luxuries,
I was considered worthy enough to be given.
So every 5 am when the world wakes up to do their business, I go about doing mine;
Which is taking time to appreciate the ONE who has made all this possible.
Just the simple fact that HE has decided to honour me by waking me up daily to enjoy the gifts HE has given;
Is inspiration enough for me.

BE THANKFUL!!!

2 comments: